Yea is passionate about helping others be the best versions of themselves and began her work as an educator and mentor in 2001. In addition to coaching teens and adults, Yea is the Associate Director of Learning Services at the Urban School in San Francisco. Before working at Urban, Yea managed the first Department of Learning Services for the College Preparatory School. At College Prep she helped students in the transition from middle school to high school and supported students with executive functioning skills, mindfulness, essays and term papers. Yea directed a transition to college program at the University of Pennsylvania for four years, helping college freshman with study skills, time management, and organization, along with life skills. Yea has also conducted admissions interviews, reviewed admissions files, and weighed in on admissions decisions for K-8 and high schools in the Bay Area and serves as an alumni admissions interviewer for Georgetown University.
Through her role as a Director of Learning Services for independent schools, Yea has extensive experience in advising parents and supporting students with diagnosed learning differences, interpreting and summarizing educational and neuropsychological evaluations, creating individual learning plans, and applying for accommodations on standardized tests through the College Board and ACT. Yea has also consulted with school administrators on curriculum, assessments, admissions decisions, enrollment, and learning services protocols.
Yea collaborates with her husband Jai, who is the founder of LifeWorks Learning Center, a learning center that specializes in mentoring, tutoring, test, and college preparation for teens, and coaching for parents of teens. Yea and Jai live in Marin with their children.
Education and Training
- Ph.D. Candidate, University of Pennsylvania (2005 - 2012)
- M.A., University of Pennsylvania, thesis on the home-school relationship between parents and teachers
- Coursework completed at University of Pennsylvania's Graduate School of Education
- B.A., Georgetown University, cum laude
- Mindfulness in Education Teacher Training
- Official Mindprint Educational Evaluation Administrator
- Certified Qigong Instructor
Conferences and Workshops
- Learning and the Brain
- Diversity Leadership Institute
- Various workshops with Dr. Gordon Neufeld
- National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS) workshops on diversity and inclusion, executive functioning, and ADHD
- Ann Martin Center professional workshops on ADHD, executive functioning, and supporting young adults with autism
- California Teachers Development Collaborative (CATDC) workshops on fostering academic success and building executive functioning skills